Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Everything's Gonna Be Okay

I am aware that people don't know the future. I'm also not four years old. So when someone says to me, "Everything's gonna be okay," I can't help but roll my eyes and wonder why they take me for a fool.

Where did that come from, anyway? 'Cause it seems like you only hear it from people who have absolutely no idea. It's the go-to line for when you can't think of anything that's actually encouraging. "It's gonna be okay. I promise."

Well, f I'm afraid, I want encouraging facts, not the empty words of an optimist. If I'm sick, I don't want, "I know you can beat this," I want the percentage of people in my condition who pull through. And if that's not a comforting number, maybe I don't have too much of a reason to be hopeful.

Faith in God, I understand. Faith in established trends, I understand. I can even understand faith in a person. But faith in nothing? Hope, simply because what you wish for is possible? No, I'm afraid I lack the capacity, for that.

I guess that's why I worry so much...

You remember those Calvin & Hobbes comics, where Calvin would explain a deep revelation to Hobbes, while they rode a wagon or sled to their doom?


There were a lot of those...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a condition?

Anonymous said...

you forgot about luck