Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back to the Future: Part IV

I had a dream last night, that I was writing a script for "Back To The Future: Part IV."

See, in my dream, Universal Studios was waiting on my script, cause it was gonna be awesome. I was confident that my script would be a huge success, but I took my time finishing it up. That is, until I received a phone call informing me that Doc Brown himself, Christopher Lloyd, was writing his own script with intention of submitting it first.

That bastard wanted to steal my movie!

Confident that my movie would be better than his, I wrote feverishly to finish my script before that old coot finished his. Now, with a fire under my tail, I had the motivation I needed to focus and finish my script.

I woke before I finished my script, but it was still quite an exciting dream.


Here's the truth: I am writing a "Back to the Future: Part IV," for fun. I've actually had it planned out for quite some time, now. I've really kept it under wraps because too many times I've talked about a story I was writing, then left it unfinished. See, I have this never ending desire to create a masterful story. I start off wanting to write a story, then try to come up with one, then try to write. Eventually I realize I never cared about the story or it's characters in the first place and I trash the whole thing. It was easier when teachers made me do that stuff...

What makes this story different is that the concept hit me first. I immediately fell in love with the idea, but for the longest time I told myself that writing fan fiction was silly, that I'd be piggybacking on someone else's work and that no one would care to read it because it wasn't official. But the idea just wouldn't let me forget he was there. I couldn't let it go of it. I eventually realized that I needed this story to exist, for me, whether or not anyone else would like it, or even read it.

I've only got a little bit written in , but the timeline is entirely laid out. The plot, the characters, all kinds of details - it's all there, in about 5 pages of notes. I've got a couple tiny kinks to work out, but I think the concept behind it is, well, it's just fantastic. It's exciting, it's fun, and it takes "Back to the Future" into new territory without abandoning the past. Most importantly, it's firmly rooted in the existing story, as opposed to just tacking something random onto the end of it.

Don't think less of me for writing fan fiction. It's true, what they say: you have to care about something to create it. I love "Back to the Future." And the beautiful thing about writing is that if you want a story to exist (or in this case, continue), you can simply make it so...

If you have any questions you wanna ask about the story or what's in it, feel free to leave a comment. I'll try to answer them as best I can without giving away anything big.

Do stories have trailers? Psh, they do now. I'll totally be writing a trailer for this.


1 comment:

Beans Shadow said...

Make It So Number 1!