Pages

Friday, March 6, 2009

"It's All Over But the Crying"

The time has come for me to bid farewell to the only drama I've ever cared about: Kyle XY. Last night I watched Monday's episode (the longest I've ever waited to watch it). Things had seemed to have escalated over the last few episodes, so I was excited to see this one. That is, until the TV whipped out its Glock and shot me right between the eyes. After a commercial break, a message popped up at the bottom of my screen.
It read,

You are watching Kyle XY
The Final Episodes

The show's terrible fate was brought to my attention during what was easily it's most emotional, tear-jerking episode. I cried like a baby. Not typical, but I'd like to think it was partly because I just had a cancel bomb dropped in my lap. I've never been attached to a drama like this. I don't really even watch drama's. I like shows and movies that are either funny or exciting. Watching people deal with real-life situations that I can relate to? Not what I would normally consider entertaining. But Kyle XY had me hooked from episode one. It was a mystery story. "Who is Kyle XY?" It made me care. Every revelation was only further whet my appetite. Forget Tivo! Throughout the show's three seasons, I watched every episode, live, with the exception of maybe three or four.

Captivated.

But slowly, Kyle XY turned from mystery-drama into a full-blown teen drama, complete with backstabbing, hook-ups, break-ups, and montages backed by indie rock ballads. What's much more surprising is that the show means as much to me now, as it always has. And now that the show has been canceled and only two episodes remain, I feel... well, I feel violated, to be honest.

I allowed it. I admit that. I accept that. But that fictional world has become a larger part of my life than I anticipated. It's people, stories and relationships don't exist, but they matter to me. I care about the futures of these characters. I'm genuinely concerned about their lives. I share their hopes. I cheer in their triumph. I wince at their pain.

And that's how they make their money.

Kinda sick.

I have to assume, as strange as it seems to me, that this is a common situation for other people. For people to enjoy dramatic stories, they must allow some level of attachment, right? And when that story ends, they have to deal with it. Right?

Damn...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but kyle's voice ugh just horrible

Chris said...

You're crazy.

Auror Assassin said...

...so you cried... you really cried over a bellybuttonless wannabe normal guy... .trying.not.to.pee.my.self...

oh yea i like the show too

Chris said...

Hey man, that crap was sad. Real, real sad...
*sniffle* you don't even know...