Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Everything Happens for a Reason

...Or does it? It's a good question. At least, I thought it was. My poll, which plainly posed the question: "Everything Happens for a Reason - True or False," got 11 votes over the course of about 30 days. The results came out 6 to 5 - so they're pretty much worthless :)

Regardless of the small margin, the votes were in favor of "True." I really was curious, because I've heard the statement made a million times. But now that I have the answer, I can't help but wonder, what leads you to believe it?

It's a heavily-weighted, worldview-shaping belief. Your answer to this question is about as big as religion. It affects the way you react to world events, the actions of others, and your own fortune or misfortune. It's not something that should be taken lightly, and it's not a question that should be answered with little consideration.

So I'm going to pose another question:

"Why?"

Whether or not you believe that "everything happens for a reason," regardless of whether you voted in the poll, I'm going ask you to explain yourself. What makes you believe that this old saying is or isn't true?


3 comments:

Brandy said...

I didn't take your poll but I'm a firm believer in the idea that everything DOES happen for a reason. It's funny though, I have a lot harder time trying to explain the "why?" of it. I think deep down, it's because it helps me get past those difficult moments. When the guy turns out to be a tool, or I don't get the job or I just having a damn bad hair day. It's the one reassurance I can give myself when I've hit rock bottom. Maybe that's crazy, but it always makes me feel better so it can't be that bad of an idea.. right?! ;)

Chris said...

I don't think it's crazy at all. In fact, I bet a lot of people who believe that everything happens for a reason, do so because things that happen in this world just don't seem to make sense, otherwise. It's faith, really. Isn't it?

Nadege said...

I don't feel everything happens for
a reason because humans are imperfect, therefore, lost keys
are just that - misplaced,
spilling something means at that
moment you may have been clumsy
or distracted, being late, well
you're always late or you answered
the phone/changed your outfit or
grabbed a book - somethings are
just as they seem.
Of course, there are incidents
that do happen for a reason, but
"everything", I think not.