Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"Well, Mr. Williams..."

I went to the dentist, yesterday. It's not my favorite.

Anyway, it was just a routine cleaning. No big deal. I just don't like being in places where people routinely dish out bad news. You know, places like the doctor's office, the dentist's office, the auto shop - they're all the same. I walk in, sit down and pass the time playing memory games like "What Time Did I Poop Seven Days Ago?" See, I really think that victory, being such a feat in memory mastery, would be enough to earn a good report, but I never win. I still have to wait and see.

And the revelation is the worst part! It's the same everywhere: the doctor/dentist/mechanic walks in, drying/wiping/wringing his hands and says, "Well, Mr. Williams..." And it's at that very moment that the monotonous tone of their voice and the emotionless expression on their face remind you that your condition won't affect them, that they deliver out bad news every day, and that regardless of what they say next, they're going to walk out the room and go about their business. I, on the other hand, have to deal with the results, whatever they may be...

The dentist's report was just fine, but boy do I hate that, "Well, Mr. Williams!"


4 comments:

Trey Benton said...

the dentist's office is one of my favorite places ever

Beans Shadow said...

I look forward to my future career... I'm already practicing...

Well, Mr. Williams, another quite interesting post... now those wisdom teeth are going to have to come out, open wide.

squizzi said...

my dentist gives my family bad news just so he can try to convince us to spend more money on his practice.

Soph! said...

ughh. i too, hate the dentist. I was just there the past week for a root canal :(