Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

All Hell Breaks Loose: 'How My Phone Is Taking Over My Life' Part 2

I was at a meeting tonight. A staff meeting at my job. ...I know, the story sounds ordinary enough, as it begins. Stay with me. I don't want to be alone, right now...

It started off like any other staff meeting would. Employees arrived and took their seats. Small talk, jokes - absolute normalcy. Our manager spoke, as he usually does, in a manner similar to that of Michael Scott, only without the jokes. Eh, less jokes, anyway.

I sat, as patiently as I could, as our manager went over his new list of old rules. I shot glances at my coworkers too the left and the right, mumbling one-liners no one would hear, just to keep myself occupied while he explained our policies. All was well on planet Earth. Birds flew. Waters flowed. Children laughed and played.

Then it all came crashing down in a single instant... There's an old saying I'm sure you've heard. It goes, "All good things must come to an end." And in that one, catastrophic moment, they all did.

No cell phones.

We can't even bring them in the building.

This is like Katrina, 9/11 and Metro Station all rolled into one...


No comments: