Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Running the Wrong Race?

I have big dreams and lofty goals. There are things that I've never thought I could be happy without, and I still don't know. There is a war zone in my mind. The war waged on that battlefield is between myself and the counter-self that tells me that nothing I do is good enough, that I can't reach my goals. It's a loud voice and I don't fight it well. I take the beating, often agreeing, and live life in self-defeat.

That's no way to life and there's no happiness waiting down that path. So, where have I gone wrong? I judge myself by what other people do and what other people accomplish, comparing the results of my actions to the results others see from similar actions. When I do what they do and don't get what they get, I get mad. Then I lose the will to fight.

What I should be doing is judging myself by the life Christ lived. And when I do, even briefly, consider my dreams and goals in that light, I see that many exist in areas of life not deemed worthy of note in the records of Christ's life, written by his close friends.

Now, Christ wasn't an ordinary man; he was placed here for one specific purpose. But before he fulfilled that purpose, he lived the definitive Christian life. We were told to live like him and, frankly, that's enough to worry about. It's all we need to worry about.

Don't get the wrong idea. I don't want anyone reading this to think this is about school or something like that. I have bigger things on my plate. I'm just saying that you should live the life you were meant to live and take comfort in the fact that that's everything you were meant to be.

Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

-Psalm 37:3-6


This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

-1 John 5: 14-15


The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

-Galations 6:8-10


Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

-1 Corinthians 9: 24-27


1 comment:

RightwingSparkle said...

I saw you following me on twitter and there are few people I would like you to meet.

http://www.ragingelephants.net/?page_id=7

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1064023569&ref=ts


http://rightwingsparkle.blogspot.com/2009/01/best-vblogger-ever.html

Look at all his stuff on YouTube..awesome!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1593276234&ref=ts

Kevin Jackson

http://theblacksphere.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!! and God Bless!