Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Open Mic Night

It's a question I've been pondering for a couple of days. When I say here, I mean the internet. More specifically social networks. Sure, I use Facebook to communicate with friends, and MySpace to keep up with musicians, but why do I feel the need to use Blogger or Twitter? Is that I really want to connect with people? Or am I just one of the millions of mistaken kids who think the internet will make them popular?

I'm just gonna admit it, come out and tell you what it is. I want the world to care what I think. That's all there is to it. I want the world to listen when I speak. I want to be important. Who doesn't? The success of networks like Blogger, MySpace and YouTube just go to show that everyone wants to share how they feel, what they think, what they like and what they hate.

The internet is a big place and millions are fighting for the spotlight. I don't think there's any shame in it. You have the opportunity to impact millions.

See, we are the first generation to really live our lives with the internet, but we're also a generation that got to live through the transition. And we're still living through it. We were there when the internet became accessible from the average home. We were there when the internet became a required information tool for students. We're here, now, watching as the internet becomes as much of a necessity as the telephone.

Just take a moment and think about how quickly it happened. If you're my age, you remember when people didn't need computers in their homes. Heck, my dad had a laptop from work, but I was in 9th grade when we got a PC. Just think about that. I didn't have a computer until high school - and it didn't matter!

I've come to a conclusion: it would be foolish to pass up a chance to perform on the world's biggest stage. Your thoughts, your knowledge, your talents - the world is watching, but they'll only see you if what you have to offer is incredible. My situation in that I just don't have an act. I'm standing, shouting babbles, in the town square of the world.

I mean, I can express thoughts like anyone else, offer a few opinions, but nothing sets me apart. I am different. I'm not like the millions of others vying for attention on the world wide web. There's no one in the world quite like me. We were are all created unique. The thing is, I don't know what it is I have that no one else can offer. I don't know what it is that I have that the world would want.

I have a couple of ideas...

_______________

Is the internet the ideal way to make your mark on the world? Pshh, who knows? It's certainly one way. It's probably one of the easier ways. Is it reasonable to hope to make a bigger impact than Rickrolling or Chuck Norris Facts? Maybe not yet - but we're getting there. Consider how big of a role the internet played in the recent Presidential election. Candidates on YouTube, Facebook and MySpace? That's never going to end. Internet social networks are officially a campaign necessity. Businesses are doing the same thing.
_______________

If there was ever a post I'd love to hear your opinions on, it's this one.


1 comment:

Beans Shadow said...

In the series of books I've been reading, the "Ender" series, by Orsen Scott Card, one of the characters, Peter Wiggin, the brother of Andrew "Ender" Wiggin for whom the series is named, creates identies for himself and his sister on the "nets" while their brother is waging war against aliens known as buggers. Although he is merely a child, through these identies, (Locke, and Demosthenes, so named for their real life philosophical counterparts) Peter is able to gain global noterity. Eventually world governments are asking for his help, and his opnions (obviously without knowing his age or true identity).
I am skipiing over alot, and glossing over basically the whole story, but in the end, peter stops one war, turns the tide of another, and is set up as Hegemon ( a world leader of sorts) all because he posted on the "nets". The bulk of his contributions were political and philosophical, and they were posted where they would be seen by the right people; but my point is that if you want to change the world through the internet, that may very well be possible, as long as what you have to say is meaningful, and is seen by the right people.

Also, read Enders Shadow, then Shadow of the Hegemon.