Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Putting Me Out Of My Misery...

I'm frustrated with the story I'm writing, because I keep overhauling it. I feel thrilled about it one day, then I switch up, entirely. See, the problem is that I'm not attached to the story. I set out to write a fiction story because I wanted to write a fiction story, not because I felt inspired. So I can, and do, constantly change the fundamental elements of the storyline. There's nothing concrete, because I started with nothing.

Does that make sense? I can't write a story that way. I can't write about something I don't care about. I mean, I can, but it's no fun and there's nothing motivating me. I even thought about setting a deadline for myself in order to push myself. But even if that worked, the story would like any passion. It'd be like school work.

A good story has to start with a spark, not just a thought. It has to be an idea that will push you through the times you don't feel like writing. You have to love it, you have to care to the point that your desire to see the work completed outweighs everything else. The story may not be dead. If I truly feel inspired to, I'll go back to it.

So what now? Well, many people, including myself, would consider writing fan fiction kind of a nerdy thing to do. Fan fiction, of course, is when one writes fiction pertaining to something he's a fan of. Say, you wanted to write your own Batman story or your own Star Trek episode. It's common practice, but it's pretty futile. I've always thought about it, but I didn't like the idea of writing something that so few people could enjoy. You can't sell it and it's not canonical, so who's going to care? It's just one guy's idea, right?

Well, it really doesn't matter if anyone else cares, if you truly enjoy writing it. Last night, I found a spark. It literally came to me in a dream. As I remember it, it was just a few seconds long. Hardly a snapshot, but a starting point.

I'm planning what I think will be the greatest work I've ever written. Better than all the stories, better than all the papers. And waaaay better than LifeShift. Yes, it's fan fiction. No, it's not Power Rangers, but I will probably be announcing it in the near future.


No comments: